In regard of doing online business it is absolutely imperative to invest on security. If this measure is not taken care of, the customers will fall prey to threats. Despite the fact that you are not offering goods d and services, security matters most. The most talked about boon in regard of SSL-encrypted HTTPS connection happened after Google announced SSL(Secure Socket Layer) implementation. Immediately this becomes defacto in the world of security. At this stage, i believe, the explanation of the terms mentioned above should be discussed briefly.
HTTPS is a secure version of the HTTP: it’s HTTP over SSL. HTTPS makes it possible to let only the server and client know the communicated information. It is not mandatory to impose such level of protection to every websites. Blog can function without SSL implementation. But if we talk about Magento based E-commerce, you can certainly pay attention to the nitty-gritty of security.
Before jumping to the bandwagon, you ought to critically examine the pros and cons of Magento SSL or HTTPS implementation.
Benefits of SSL/HTTPS
- No Third Party allowed: Third party will not be allowed to sneak your private or secret information. Precisely that be the reason for encrypting connections. You will be rest assure that not a single piece of information exchanged with your users will be gravitated outside.
- Identification: SSL certificate provides information about the data received by the browser comes from designated domain. It is nothing but another safety warranty : any entertaining information will be sent directly to the targeted destination without the interference of third party or others potential hurdles.
- SEO Efficiency: The revolutionary idea is ideated by Google with the intention to provide safe websites to the users. Otherwise Google’s credibility will be at stake. This is the reason to implement HTTPs connections. You need to prove your online Magento business to have substantial amount of security. If not, you risk being placed at the bottom or simply banned by Google. This has immense importance in regard of healthy customer base. Ignoring the basic tenets will surely have telling effect on your revenue. In case you run Magento SSL, there is more chance to be ranked in higher. Sane is not hold water for sites without SSL/HTTPS.
- Credibility: It is nothing but the quality of being trusted or believe it. In the same breadth , customers faith in you and your online business. As soon as customers see the green padlock, they immediately understand that security is already imposed i.e. Magento SSL and thereby have their firm faith in their data protection. As a consequence, customers feel more confident and order more. The more the credibility the more the customers.
- Data Integrity: Data tempering is very frequent occurrence in online business. The users are the worst suffer as they do not have knowledge that their data are manipulated. HTTPS connections can stem menace. Now it is your turn to decide whether your online business needs implementation of SSL/HTTPS based on the inputs given above.
Potential failures of SSL /HTTPS implementation.
A Need To Spend Money :
You can hardly resist your temptation on buying SSL certificate. These certificates are all issues and lean on the credibility of corresponding authorities. Better option would be to try developing your own site. After all it is the matter of trust. The trust of the people depend only on purchasing official SSL certificates. Identity verification and a number of domains are those two factors that have to be considered while estimating the cert’s price.
Your entire content is encrypted while imposing SSL connections. This only indicates that any proxy catching is blocked. It depends on the system you have chosen to cache your CMS content. While encrypted , public caching , ISP or others unable to cache the content. A business owner should test different outcomes. A perfect solution might be a content distribution network which works pretty well with HTTPS.
The problem with mixed modes:
You may be aware of the fact that sometime a particular website which is perhaps using SSL is serving insecure content. This connotes that the site using assets like adds or widgets others are not encrypted. This has demotivated many users to continue to the rest of the site. A fear enveloped in the minds of the customers believing that their privacy is in danger. The problems have somewhat solved as various advertising networks have started encrypting their content and applying SSL However, mixed mode difficulties are not fully solved.